Wednesday, August 31, 2005

huricane Katrina

Last night Greg prayed with the kids about the Hurricane situation. Today that has lead to several questions. The kids are too young to worry about this, so I'm trying to talk about it but make it less scary (I guess).

Anyway, Austin brought me the puzzle peices of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. He asked me practically all day, "what happened in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana" He kept telling me that some houses were floating and the people had to run away. (Greg- that might have been too much info honey) Ashley and Mason joined in by saying, if we were by the ocean we would throw a stick and run away.

I tried to tell mainly Austin (he's the most concerned) about the hurricane and that it brought lots of water and now some people have to find some new homes so we need to pray for them. And I tried to emphasize that we are safe here.

Poor little fellow--he is so concerned about others. It is really sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled that well.

And I would like some Tennessees about now!

Snarky Mom Reads said...

I have the same issues with Patrick; we have to be very careful how things are worded around him or he can get very fearful. And yes, you DID handle that quite well! I'm using this (and the MDA marathon) as more "examples" of how we need to appreciate our blessings and share them with others (ala my quarter story on Mommy Brain Leftovers).

Chelle, SERIOUSLY -- you ARE doing an AWESOME job! It is VERY HARD WORK... and I cannot imagine how you get through each day with such energy and joy. You may not feel you are doing it that way, but you really are :) !!

And if you ever need some "validation", check out the book "She's Gonna Blow!" by Julie Ann Barnhill -- it is very BTDT with a Christian slant!