Thursday, June 15, 2006

Little Miss Manipulator


What am I going to do with my daughter? She is only 3 and she is a master manipulator.

Last night, I watched Braxton and Dalton while their parents went out to eat. So that made 5 three year olds. It really wasn't bad, but by 9:30 I was tired. Anyway, here is what my daughter did.

1. She shared her pink blankie with Braxton. She doesn't let anyone else touch it. In her manipulating voice she said, "Braxton (pronouncing every syllable like in the south) come sit next to me. You can share my blanket." So he shared it with her for a while and then he got down and did other things.

2. Later, while Braxton was playing with trains, she started up again. "Braxton come sit next to me." No response....Braxton was busy. So she says it again, "Braxton come share my blankie with me." No response again. So she yells out, "DO IT." I then got on to her that she was being rude.

3. Ashley was getting very tired. She asked me if I could scratch her back. I told her I couldn't because I was doing something. So she went on and on "I want SOMEBODY to scratch my back. Braxton, will you scratch my back?" I said, "Ashley leave him alone he is eating." So she continued to complain, "I want SOMEBODY to scratchy scratchy my back." So I tuned her out. So in about 5 minutes I guess Braxton had had enough. So he said, "Ok I'll do it."
He went over to her scratched her back and she lifted her shirt up so he could scratch some more. He stopped and she said, Thank you and he said your welcome. Then guess what? "Dalton, will you scratch my back?" And Dalton was right there to scratch her back. What am I going to do with her?

4. At VBS the teacher told me today that Braxton and Ashley hold hands everywhere they go.

So I was telling Greg about this and he is quite concerned about her. He said, "where did she learn this? It's not like you are a vixen or anything." Oh thanks Greg!

This is a picture of them yesterday at VBS. I told them to act silly. It was the best picture I got of them.



So I think I need some parenting advice. What do I say or do with Ashley?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are not born knowing everything. She just needs some guidance...a little private time with mom or dad. It shouldn't take a lot of explanation, just some softly spoken,'this is not the way we act'. Then if she continues, you take away a priviledge...or if rewards work better for her,reward her for good days until the habit is formed. What do they say? 8 days to form a habit?

Dana said...

You vixen you! Ha! That still makes me laugh. Unfortunately, when I told Mike he beamed with pride. Men. Or more specifically, 'fathers of boys'. Ugh!

Jennifer Fleming said...

I would say to pick my battles. wait till she gets more involved per say like kissing or such, holding hands is mostly innocent at this age. wait to win the war not this battle..

Hollye said...

LOL...I have no advice. Mine is only 11 months old and she hasn't started anything like this. I'll probably be asking you for advice soon!

Great to see you on Saturday!