Wednesday, October 05, 2005

show off


Ok not really, but the timing was great. When we went to the library today, the kids played on the computers. Mason was playing a Teletubbies game. I was super impressed that he actually was figuring out how to use the mouse correctly. He was able to control it and put it where he wanted it. Austin was playing a United States game. Everytime I would pick up a piece, he would say the name of the state and where it went on the map. The librarian went by as he was saying Mississippi. She was impressed that a 3 year old could even say that word. ha ha ha...so I had to brag and say yes, he's pretty smart. He knows about 45 states and where they go on the map. Well that and the boys are reading 3 letter words. Ok so it was easy to brag to a complete stranger. It felt great. HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I love when I can see my teaching working!!!!
All three of them got it today! They all know what "SH" says. So tonight Austin was spelling words and sounding out words that I spelled. So I said to all of them, "Whoever can read this word will get to sit in my lap first tonight." So Austin looked at it and sounded it out sh i p... ship. YEAH I am so tickled with them!!!!

And in the last few days, EVERYWHERE we go, Mason points out all the double E's that he sees in words. And he tells me that say's EEEEEEEEEE!

I'm really pleased Ashley picked up on the SH. When I asked her what S and H said together, she put her finger to her mouth and said shhhhh! She is acting like she doesn't recognize the letters anymore. It's strange. I know she knows them. I think I just need to have more one on one time with her.

OH yes! I really think Ashley is a lefty. I've suspected for quite some time. But today at the library, she said to me, "Mommy I need the mouse on this side (left) so I can move it." It was at this point that I really realized it. I moved the mouse to the other side. But I had a hard time controlling it for her. She still wants to click with her pointer finger. So are there mouses made for left handers? And on the left handed subject...How does a right handed person teach a left handed person to write?

You know I'm now wondering if having an extra bone in her right thumb is hindering her or if she just truly is a lefty? The doctor's didn't think it would get in the way. But I guess it is just another thing to think about if she needs the surgery to remove it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley is holding her brush like a left-hander. Do you see her hand is above her work and curled downward? If she didn't, she would smear her painting with her hand.

That is the way she would hold a "writin' utensil".
(inside joke)

Anonymous said...

Chelle,

You can switch the mouse to be a left-handed mouse in the control panel, and it makes the button functions swap, so that the shortcut menus usually produced by right-clicking are produced by a left click.

Love ya! Greg

TracieClaiborne said...

Your kids are really bright. Caroline can read pretty well but she's still learning eeeee and sh.

Have you considered homeschooling? I don't think I've ever asked you!